Saturday, January 7, 2012

The simple things in life

I've never wanted a relationship that was easy. Why? Two reasons: 1)Easy is boring, and 2)Easy is boring. As I was writing I forgot what my second reason was, so I figured reason number one was important enough to list twice. I don't like boring. Boring is boring and fun is fun, even the words emulate what they are. You know fun is good because it has one syllable. One syllable = good, and moreover, One syllable = simple. Therefore, we can infer that: good = simple, yes? (For those of you that don't follow, the answer is yes, just nod your head and pretend you understand). The more important thing to note is  simple ≠ boring, mmmkay? The math checks out. Which leads me into the reason for this post: cherishing the simple things in life.

One of the many reasons I love Boyfriend is his love of simple things. It doesn't take a lot to make the man happy, which makes me happy. Let's face it, it's all about my happiness anyways. However, his love of simple things has an element of Huh? (Or, Say Whaaaat? if you prefer). The things that make him happy are things that I wouldn't expect. The man watches a lot of sports, that's one of the boring simple things in his life. But that's not what we're talking about. This post is dedicated to the weird simple things. Allow me to provide three examples of Boyfriend's simple things in life with the Huh? element (Say Whaaaat?):

1) He loves Mutt
Mutt is simple. Ordinarily I would make a comparison to Boyfriend here, but that's hitting below the belt, and let's face it, it's a new year I could try to start it off on a nicer note. Boyfriend and Mutt are, as the kids say, bromantic. It helps that Mutt is his Football Sunday buddy. As I mentioned before, Mutt is ugly as they come, and Boyfriend and him didn't exactly hit it off. Boyfriend almost lost his face to the little beasty. To their inglorious friendship, I say, Huh? (Say Whaaaat?).

2) His favourite food
Boyfriend is a red seal chef. Eat your heart out ladies. He's good at what he does. For dinner he has made us grand meals including seafood-stuffed chicken with lobster bisque as the sauce over top. Please don't hate me for saying that, jealousy is unbecoming. Seriously ladies, jackpot. He cooks food that I can't even pronounce or remember the name of. Delicious delicacies I have never heard of before in my life. And Boyfriend's favourite food of all time: franks and beans. To this, I say, Huh?? (Say Whaaaat?).

3) His coffee lids
It is no secret that my man likes his Tim Horton's coffee. Every day (literally) he will have himself at least one extra large coffee with one cream and two sugar. See Boyfriend, I have the capacity to remember. That'll be egg all over my face if it's wrong and I post it in the blog here. I believe that would definitely make me the Matadork in this situation. I don't know how many times I've gotten that coffee order wrong. It's cute when he adds more milk or sugar when we get home without saying anything to my face about how I screwed up again. He knows I try, but remembering isn't my strong suit. Seriously, check my DNA, we love puns and we don't remember stuff. That chicken is foul. It's funnier saying it out loud because it's fowl... Never mind, back to the coffee situation. Way, way back when Boyfriend and I were doing the long distance thing, Tim Horton's was changing things up. Their lids that had always been those pull-back tabs were gradually switching over to latte-style lids, with the small hole to sip through. Boyfriend and I spent many tireless hours on the phone with each other trying to solve the nation-wide problem that was sweeping the pull-back lids into extinction. I will not stand for it. It's an abomination. I need a lid that I can have a drink from my coffee, not a lid that's like an adult sippy cup. More or less, this is what Boyfriend said. I'm not a good rememberer. Rememberer isn't a word. When I came to visit him, we found out the coffee shop's (or doughnut shop for those of us that have our priorities straight) plan was to phase out the old lids, and transition to these new lids. Boyfriend always made it a point to...politely demand an older lid. Times were hard, lids were changing, it was a tough era to be Boyfriend. What I like about Boyfriend, is that he's a do-er. He does not go down without aggressively fighting for his cause. He did what anyone in his right mind would have done, he started hoarding Tim's lids. When he'd go to the gas stations that sold Tim's coffee, he'd grab a few extra old-style lids and stash them away. As I mentioned, he gets a Tim's coffee every day. A few grabbed lids here and there really add up. On another visit, we went to the Tim's drive thru where they were entirely switched over to the new lids, and he asked for no lid on his coffee. Instead when we pulled up to the window, he passed over one of his lids and ask them to secure it to his cup. He perplexed many a Tim Horton's worker during that time. The man likes his lids. He had a stash in his car, at home, at work, little piles everywhere. He learned young not to keep all his eggs in one basket (pardon the cliche). And now, when one goes to Tim Horton's and orders a regular coffee, the old lids are back, they save the new lids for their lattes and stuff. Boyfriend thinks this is due to his efforts to revive the old-style lid. Frankly, I think he might be right. The lid is a very important feature to Boyfriend's daily coffee. To this, I say, that's proposterous...I mean, Huh??? (Or, Boyfriend, you crazy).

To sum up: I love my weirdo Boyfriend. His love of the simple things makes me appreciate him that much more.

Time for tea,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment