Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The perfect disguise

This short story took place right after Halloween. Boyfriend and I were on the cusp of our fourth year anniversary; as everyone knows, you're entitled to let yourself go after the first anniversary. Before that time, you hide the heinous, actual person you are underneath the perfect disguise. When we started dating, Boyfriend dressed better, shaved every day, wore his hair perfectly coiffed. He would skip out of time watching "the game" (what is this game anyways?) with the boys to chauffeur me around. Boyfriend was quieter back then, as if he knew that too much of his botched Eastern-Canadian turn of phrase was more than enough to get served with a death sentence from this woman. No offense to the population of Eastern-Canadians, I'm sure you're all very nice people. How are yous anyhow? ...Writing that hurts as much as losing a limb, I imagine. Then there was me, perfect makeup, calculated outfits and irrational bitch attitude bound tighter than an Amish chastity belt. Those were the days.

On this particular early November evening, Boyfriend and I busted into our Halloween candy stash. Since our apartment is hot enough to boil water without turning on the stove, we've taken to keeping our chocolate in the fridge. I also like the snap of a frozen Snickers bar when you bite into it, in spite of the occasional flecks of chocolate that fly into the air as a result. Trust me, this information is pertinent to the story. This was one of the rare occasions that we cuddled on the couch (pardon me for steering clear of Tabasco breath and limited cushion space) as we ate our chocolate. One of us, not naming any names, found a delightful low-budget film on Netflix. Something about boats and warships or something dumber than stupid. BAD MOVIE. When Boyfriend's watching a movie like this, or football, or what have you, I let my head fall on his chest and nap. It's spending time together without the agony of spending time together. We'll call that a win for both sides.

Eventually, Boyfriend shakes me awake, complaining that my heavy head has made his arm fall asleep or some nonsense. I sit up, catch his eye, and he smiles like a buffoon at my unimpressed expression.

What?
I just love you.
Uh huh.

I make the executive decision to leave before the She-Hulk wakes up too, and finds him smiling at her like that. New plan: Brush teeth and go to bed.

It takes me a moment to let everything come into focus. You know that haze when you're brutally woken up by an alarm clock or dumb ass. I'm already halfway through brushing my teeth when I look in the mirror. Half my face is dotted with moles; tell the Polka Dot Door to eat its heart out. My face is a constellation-seeker's paradise; there's Cassiopeia on the side of my nose, Orion stretches across my forehead and eyelid, and I do believe that's Perseus over near my chin. It's like the freckles that come a-callin' in the summertime showed up for a winter family reunion and they're all bundled up in thick, dark-brown parkas. Only on the left side of my face. I reach up, scared that this is the skin cancer that will have me losing half my face to scar tissue upon removal. I touch one of the spots that make up Orion's belt, and when I take my finger away, the mole latches onto my fingertip and pulls off my face. I do what any rational person would do, I put the detached mole into my mouth. Milk chocolate. That messy idiot.

As I stalk back to the living room, I pray for Boyfriend. I think the She-Hulk just woke up.

Time for tea,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment